Acquiring Nationality Due to Marriage to a Cypriot National
What We Offer
The spouses of Cypriot nationals are eligible to submit an application – the relevant application form reads “Μ125” – in order to acquire nationality as long as they have fulfilled two necessary preconditions:
three years of marriage, and
two years residing within the territory of the Republic of Cyprus,
while, also, in both cases, both preconditions need to have been already fulfilled before the actual submission of the relevant application.
The application is to be submitted to the so-called Administration District where the applicant is actually residing or to the competent Consulates/ Embassies with regards to interested individuals residing abroad.
Please bear in mind that a number of supporting documents are also necessary which in particular read as follows:
- The applicant’s birth certificate
- The applicant’s criminal record which, of course, needs to be clean; it has to be issued within the last six months
- Marriage certificate
- Plain photocopy of the applicant’s passport
- Plain photocopy of the spouse’s passport
- Certificate concerning the Cypriot spouse with regards to his/ her acquired citizenship
- Official statement with regards to the couple’s harmonious marriage situation signed before a competent Administration District
- Confirmation of co-habitation issued by the competent regional/ local official authority
- The application should be submitted x 2, while in one of these, officially issued stamps 8, 54€ worth have to be placed
- Photocopy of the receipt confirming the payment of 300, 00€ worth fees paid
We are future-oriented by setting strategic long-term goals; planning ahead is not just a necessity but an inherent characteristic of our corporate identity.
We strive for fairness by treating everyone with respect, not just courtesy.
Our mind-set is global thus we enjoy working seamlessly across borders.
We focus on delivering world-class legal services and advice, thus reaching for the highest standard possible means that excellence is the only threshold.
How We Can Help
Tips to be born in mind:
- The spouses of Cypriot nationals residing abroad are also eligible to submit the application at hand, as long as they have been married to their wives/ husbands for three years. Those applications have to be supported by a letter signed by both spouses of the married couple which in a few words shall be explaining in an explicit, yet again plain manner why the non-Cypriot spouse wishes to get now the nationality of the Republic. However there is no need for such a letter in case of a marriage already in place for five years, in which time a child has also been born by them.
- If any of the documents presented have been issued by a foreign authority, they have to be officially translated either in the Greek or in the English language from a Press and Information Office, and they also need to bear:
either an APOSTILLE stamp, in case the applicant’s country of origin has been a signatory of the 1961 Hague Convention;
or a stamp issued both by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant as well as by the Consulate/ Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus located in the just aforementioned country;
or a stamp issued both by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant as well as by the Consulate/ Embassy of the applicant’s country of origin which, on top of that, has to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic.
There is also the farfetched scenario according to which the applicant’s country of origin has not been a signatory to the 1961 Hague Convention, nor is there a Consulate/ Embassy of the Republic at that country: in that case, the documents need to be certified, first, with a stamp of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic, and later on, with a stamp by the nearest accredited to the Republic Consulate/ Embassy.