1. According to single article of the legislative decree under nr. 2573/1953, as it has been replaced by par. 1 article 8 of Law 2130/1993 and which is currently valid according to par. 9 situation 2 of article 9 Law 2307/1995, the following persons are eligible to proceed with the change of their names and surnames by constituting them more Greek:
- Greeks residing abroad
- Foreigners of same ethnic [greek] group that have acquired Greek nationality
- People of same ethnic [greek] group that have recently moved to Greece and already have Greek nationality
3. The registration of the naturalized foreigners, either of same ethnic group or of a different one, with the City Registers and the Central Registers of Males, shall be occurring by having as fundamental argumentation the relevant decision of naturalization and by setting forth the details of name and surname already registered as such. According to the legal provisions at ahnadin order to acquire Greek nationality via the naturalization procedure, the foreigner who wishes to become a Greek citizen needs to submit a relevant application, supported among others by an original birth certificate which has been issued by the competent authority of the country of origin which also constitutes the most important of all documents, given that this is where details regarding the applicant shall be obtained.
4. Should the applicants present their name certificates at a later time, no repercussions shall be caused as far as the Greek legal state of things is concerned, or with regards to their civic situation, unless there has been a serious amendment of the sort regarding their naturalization procedure
The change of name that has occurred due to name acquisition process via baptizing and which has taken place before the naturalization process as such, it shall cause legal results and consequences in the Greek State only if there has been a birth certificate already registered with a foreign authority in order for the latter one to be registered alongside the Naturalization decision
Furthermore and according to the Expert Opinion under nr. 65/1991issued by the Legal Board of the State in order for the change of a name to occur in Greece and especially with regards to a change of name that gas previously occurred abroad either via an administrative or a judicial way, there has to be followed a procedure of recognition of the res judicata of that foreign procedure according to the provisions of article 905 of the Greek Procedural Civil Code , in other words the administrative or the judicial act thanks to which that change occurred has to be properly recognized.
In the case of adult men who wish to have their name and surname changed by having previously done so abroad thus now they wish to have it officially recognized here as well, that sort of change has to be registered with the Registers of Males at the competent Municipality where they have been registered (article 13 law 2119/1993 in close combination with par.7 of article 280 law 3852/2010), due to the importance it is reserved by the State for the proper recording of the details of the male Greek nationals, according to the decision of the competent body, i.e. of the Secretary General of the Decentralized Prefecture
Just for your information and for the sake of clarity the initial article regulating the changes of details of records regarding birth registrations in Greece has been article 14 law 344/1976, which later on got amended by article 4 par.5 of law 4144/2013, (Official Gazette Α 88/18.4.2013) that reads as follows:
Changes occurring with regards to the state-of-being of a natural person after the registration of acts with the Central Register due to legalization, recognition, denunciation, dispute, contention of fatherhood, or due to the adoption of a child, or even due to termination or cancelation of marriage, cohabitation agreement, addition or change of name, surname, nationality, religious belief or change of sex, have to be registered within the data framework of article 8Α that reads “Changes” within a month’s time from the moment they occurred by submitting the relevant administrative act or that certificate regarding the finalization of the relevant court decision. In particular, the certificates with regards to the finalization of termination or cancelation of marriage in order to be presented before any competent state or municipal authority, have to bear a note issued by the competent Registrar that a copy of them has been submitted to him/ her and that the relevant change has been registered within the data framework of article 8Α and that the marriages that have taken place before the introduction of the currently valid law have been properly registered and the changes relating to them have been noted accordingly in the margins of the each time relevant marriage registration [article 4 par.5 of law 4144/2013, (Official Gazette Α 88/18.4.2013)