“KINDERGELD” is a kind of payment provided by the German government to those who are parents and live in Germany.

As a member of the European Union, Germany provides this kind of financial help not only to parents that are German citizens but also to parents who are citizens of another European Country but   pay taxes and live permanently in Germany. In some cases, citizens of Countries outside the European Union reserve the same right, if they are staying legally in German Territory.

If the necessary conditions are met, and the right exists, the child allowance (aka kindergeld) application is lodged by the parent with whom the child resides at the Family Benefit Fund. The child allowance for first and second children is 204 euros per month for each child, for the third child is 210 euros per month and for each child after the third is 235 euros.

According to the legislation in force, a citizen of the European Union has the right to receive this child allowance for their children in case they are subject to unlimited income tax in Germany. This is usually the case when one resides in Germany. If they do not reside in Germany but earn at least 90% of their income in Germany, they may, at their request, be deemed to be subject to unlimited taxation in Germany. Also, their children must reside in the European Union or Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Switzerland and be under the age of 18. It is noted that children are considered to be those who are blood relatives or adopted or stepchildren to the citizen who wants to apply for child allowance. Sometimes even grandparents reserve this right if the parents of their grandchildren are deceased.

If the child is older than 18 years, the citizen of the European Union may receive the child allowance only under certain conditions. In particular, the relevant right exists when the child attends school for the first time, attends vocational training courses, studies at a university or does an internship so that they acquire the knowledge that is the prerequisite for the pursuit of the desired profession. They may also reserve the right if their child attends courses for a second vocational training and while doing so it works only partially or not at all.

Parents can also apply for the child allowance in case their child is unemployed, registered to a job agency in order to find a job and have not reached yet the age of 21. Furthermore, in case the child performs voluntary or similar service in a military or social service and as a result they do not receive any income elsewhere, or they cannot provide for themselves because of a disability.

If those criteria are met and the parents fill out and submit their application at the Family Benefit Fund, the Fund will issue a decision so that they can legally receive the child allowance.


Contact Us